Monday 13 February 2012

It's Good To Talk – About Job Fulfilment



Dear Kate

I have been reading your column on and off for a few months and don’t know if you can help but decided to ask anyway.

I have been living in Ibiza for just over two years and have fallen in love with the island.  I was nervous about coming alone and setting up a life for myself but everyone has been really friendly and welcoming and now I have a great circle of friends, there are times when I feel a little lonely but I'm OK with that and sure there would be times back in England when I might have felt a bit lonely as well.

The real issue for me is work. I bad about complaining because I know a lot of people find it difficult to get jobs especially in the winter and I am lucky enough to have an all-year round job but I really hate it.

I'm scared to give it up as I know I am lucky to have it; I just find it so tedious and boring. The only good thing about it is that it enables me to stay here and I have made one good friend there.

Thank you very much and I hope you don’t’ think I'm being unreasonable.
TS


Dear TS

Thank you for your e-mail and I wonder why you feel you might be being unreasonable? If something is causing you anxiety or stress then that makes it important and something that you might want to explore.

People often compare how others might respond to a similar situation and feel uncomfortable that what they are experiencing is not "as important" as the problems other people may have, BUT the reality is everyone reacts to different things in their lives in a different way and therefore comparing reactions or trying to attribute a level of importance to your issue is impossible.

The only thing you need to focus on is that if it is important to you then that in itself validates it 100 per cent.

So, focussing on your issue i.e. work is important. We spend a huge amount of time at work and finding it tedious and boring must be difficult.    I suppose you have a few options; one being that you approach your boss/manager and ask if there are any additional projects/tasks or responsibilities that you can take on, explaining that you are finding that your current role is not stimulating you enough and you feel you can offer the business more then it is currently getting from you.

I am sure it is not often that employees ask for more and it could be that your manager is simply unaware of how you are feeling.

Another option would be to explore your fear of looking for an alternative post somewhere else. You have left England and set yourself up in Ibiza very successfully on your own which must have felt quite daunting at times so what is holding you back for taking that risk again and looking for another job?

I understand you may feel that your opportunities here are more limited then in England but if you were able to find, apply and be successful in your last application, is there any reason why that might not happen again?

Ibiza is a wonderful island and you sound as if you have found a place to live that real fits with who you are, it would be a shame to let your feeling about your current job impact your life outside of work, and I hope that you find a way to feel more stimulated and challenged in the near future.

Please do keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Warm regards
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment